The role will report directly to the Senior Accountant and will primarily focus on fulfilling the various group reporting and accounting requirements for the group of companies, shareholder companies and its associates.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
– Processing of various monthly bank statements into accounting software
– Processing of various monthly investment/broker house cash accounts
– Maintenance of general ledger accounts
– Maintenance and improvement of sound internal controls
– Responsible to lead the monthly and year-end ‘accounting close’ process
– Month-end closures of foreign currency adjustments on foreign currency bank accounts, loans and foreign customers/suppliers
– Maintenance and processing of various monthly group interest calculations
– Preparation and processing of various monthly journal batches, entries and accruals
– Maintaining a good electronic and physical filing system
– Monthly and quarterly invoicing
– Maintenance of a small fixed asset register
– Preparation and submission of company group VAT return
– Preparation and submission of annual company and agent income tax returns
– Prepping/drafting of Excel annual financial statements for some of the smaller entities
– Maintenance of various monthly reconciliations relating to group investments
– Balancing and maintenance of intercompany, and associate entity loans
– Assisting with the audit processes of the various entities
– Assisting with the budgeting process
– Assisting with monthly group management accounts
– Assisting with weekly cash flow updates
– Track and resolve accounting discrepancies
– Other ad-hoc duties as and when required
In addition the successful candidate must be willing to potentially travel to UK and SA if required.
Skills and Experience Required:
You will be a driven, proactive self-starter, with good communication skills, along with good numerical and analytical abilities. The desire/attitude to ‘want to learn’ and develop is strongly preferred as a personality attribute. Other important attributes would be time management, attention to detail, a positive attitude and the ability to work in an open office environment.
The ideal candidate should have demonstrable experience of preparing and maintaining financial records up to trail balance level, with a good understanding of general accounting and taxation (VAT) principles. An understanding of foreign currency transactions and fair value accounting would be desirable.
You should have a good general understanding of accounting software (i.e. Sage/Xero/QuickBooks), and the ability to process bank statements, journals and foreign currency month-end closures on an accurate and timeous basis.
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following criteria:
– AAT Qualified; or
– CAT Qualified; or
– Relevant Accounting Diploma; and
– 2 years+ experience working in a similar role
– Excel (basic formulas & large spreadsheets) and Microsoft Office proficiency